Nine Migrants Found Dead After Boat Capsizes Off Libya as Mediterranean Crossings Continue

Nine Migrants Found Dead After Boat Capsizes Off Libya as Mediterranean Crossings Continue

Tripoli, Libya (Running Africa) — The bodies of nine migrants have been recovered from the shores of Tajoura, east of Tripoli, after a boat carrying around 19 people capsized off the Libyan coast, according to the Tripoli Red Crescent.

Search and recovery operations remain underway, with authorities warning that additional bodies could wash ashore in the coming days.

The latest deaths add to the mounting human toll along the Central Mediterranean migration route, where migrants and refugees continue to attempt dangerous sea crossings from Libya towards Europe.

Nine Bodies Recovered From Tajoura Coast

The Tripoli Red Crescent said its volunteers have been working alongside security forces to recover victims following the shipwreck.

Nine bodies have so far been found along the coastline near Tajoura, while the fate of others believed to have been aboard the vessel remains unclear.

The Red Crescent said teams were operating under difficult conditions and described the situation as requiring an urgent humanitarian response.

With around 19 people reportedly on board when the vessel capsized, search teams are continuing operations amid fears that the death toll could rise.

50 Migrants Rescued in Separate Incident Off Libya

The Tajoura tragedy comes alongside another deadly incident in waters off Libya.

On Monday, the humanitarian rescue ship EMERGENCY rescued 50 migrants from a wooden boat in international waters, while seven people were found dead.

The two incidents underline the persistent dangers facing people attempting to cross the Mediterranean aboard vessels that are often overcrowded or unsuitable for long journeys at sea.

Libya Remains Major Route for Migrants Trying to Reach Europe

Libya has become one of the main departure points for migrants and refugees attempting to reach Europe across the Mediterranean.

The country’s location along the North African coast has made it a major transit hub for people arriving from across sub-Saharan Africa, North Africa and parts of the Middle East.

Many travel through extensive migration networks before attempting the sea crossing, often aboard small boats with limited safety equipment.

The Central Mediterranean is considered one of the world’s most dangerous migration routes, with shipwrecks and deaths continuing despite efforts to restrict departures and expand rescue operations.

Libya’s Instability Fuels Migration Crisis

Libya’s role as a migration hub has expanded amid years of political instability following the 2011 overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi.

The country remains divided by competing political and security interests, complicating efforts to manage migration networks and protect people travelling through its territory.

At the same time, conflict, poverty, political instability and insecurity across Africa and the Middle East continue to push people towards Libya in the hope of eventually reaching Europe.

For many, reaching the Libyan coast is only the beginning of the most dangerous part of the journey.

Mediterranean Migrant Deaths Continue

The recovery of nine bodies in Tajoura and the discovery of seven more deaths in a separate incident provide another reminder of the human cost of migration across the Mediterranean.

Search teams are continuing to monitor the Tajoura coastline as authorities attempt to establish what happened to the remaining people believed to have been aboard the capsized vessel.

As departures from Libya continue, the latest tragedy once again highlights the dangers faced by migrants and refugees attempting one of the world’s deadliest sea crossings.

Scroll to Top